Thursday, August 18, 2005

Friday Cemetery Blogging

Once again I am unable to narrow things down to a single photo. These gravestones are in a cemetery in Huntsville, Texas.

These stones belong to a husband and wife. She on the right, he on the left. They look like giant chess pieces.


I love the texture the marble takes in this environment. It doesn't come through very well in this low-voltage scan, but the brilliant white, the velvety black and all the mossy shades in between are really beautiful.



When I grow up I want to be a weird old lady living in a weird old house surrounded by this fence.


Although Huntsville is definitely part of Texas, its East Texas. I live in West Texas. We are woefully bereft of marble, moss and little green vines. This is a shot of the north east corner of a local graveyard. Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Headless-in-GR said...

Hey! I'm from East Texas, so this is kinda like...east meets west!

And you're right about the marble!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I want to live somewhere where that moss and the vines are. So pretty!

Baby Gator said...

I liked this Friday blog. I thought the headstones were pretty. Way better than the scary ones from last week. These seemed peaceful but like they were hiding something. lol.

annie said...

I agree, way better than that goofy-looking scary guy!

Re: "I want to a weird old lady..."

Cheer up, two out of three ain't bad! You'll get old soon enough!!

annie said...

Ooops, I left out the little word "be"....that could be misconstrued....I meant to type "I want to BE a weird old lady"! (As you can tell, I am already there, 100%!)

grandma1 said...

I am a weird old lady. Tranplanted from New Mexico which is a lot like West Texas. I am now in East Texas with all the green and moss. Alergries are terrible, I didn't get the lovely wrought iron fence. I left that in Albuquerque. Now I live in a rented apartment I haven't rented 40 years, be careful what you wish for.

Anonymous said...

They do look like giant chesspieces. :) There has to be a story there!!!

spookyrach said...

Welcome Grandma and Lorna!

Grandma - I love New Mexico!!! It seems that is where we end more often than not whenever we want to get away for a few days. (I also understand about those East Texas allergies!)

Annie - I dunno, I think I pretty much have a lock on the weirdness category, too. But thats cool with me!

Lorna - I don't think they have purposefully made them like chess pieces, but it is a possibility. They were really beautiful with wonderful carvings on all sides.

Captainwow said...

I'm giggling and snorting at Annie's comment. " I want to a wierd old lady."
hahahhaaa!
hehe.
ok and I love the chess piece headstones. how very very cool.