Sunday, July 03, 2005

Circumambages

I am only recently returned from a perfectly sudorific vacation. Our previous record of pluvious adventure has ceased.

Our travels included an amusement park, capable of great horripilation, and a zoo - always an effective nepenth.

And I purchased a tome - about sesquipedalation.

Translation:
I just got back from a sweaty trip. Our previous record of rainy travel is ended. We went to an amusement park and got good goosebumps. We also went to the zoo, which is good for what ails you. And I bought a book about inordinantly long words: "2000 Most Challenging and Obscure Words" by Norman W. Schur.

We traveled with Opie Capone, Mrs. Capone and their daughter, Opie Jr. No one maimed or scarred anyone else. We travel with them pretty often so the two only children that we have between us get to experience the joys of sibling travelery.

The kids had a great time at the amusement park and zoo, but probably had just as much fun in the hotel swimming pool. Kate the kid has a talent for securing playmates that must come from being an only child. Jackson relayed a conversation he overheard between her and a boy she played with in the pool:

Kid - "Is that old wrestler-looking guy your dad?"
Kate - "The one with the bald head and the tatoo?"
Kid - "Yeah."
Kate - "Yeah, that's my dad."
Kid - "Cool."

Jackson also gets the award for finding the most disturbing bathroom graffiti: "If you give the devil his due, you won't have anything left over to tip Jesus." Thanks folks, my name is Jesus and I'll be here nightly through the end of the week. And leave a little something for your waiteress, too.

Opie Jr., who just turned five, spent a lot of time trying to keep Jackson in line. She learned at an early age that her aunt, Ray-Ray (she couldn't say SpookyRach yet) was not just your average aunt, but a superhero in disguise. You can ask her "Who is Ray-Ray?" and she will tell you "Wonder Woman".

Well. Sort of. She also had trouble saying Wonder Woman, so it has become ingrained her little pink brain that I am Woman-Woman. She spent the week saying "Watch out, Uncle Jackson! Ray-Ray is Woman-Woman!"

Hear me roar-roar.


Circumambages - instances of deviousness or indirectness in speech or writing.

11 comments:

annie said...

Gosh, I'm glad you translated. I thought maybe you were in trouble for that pluvious adventure stuff!

Unknown said...

And I was thinking it was a Jabberwocky moment...

Unknown said...

And I was thinking it was a Jabberwocky moment...

Unknown said...

And I was thinking it was a Jabberwocky moment...

Unknown said...

Okay, that is ridiculous. I can't believe I ended up with a triple take. Please blame Blogger.
::slinks away ashamed::

Captainwow said...

I circumnavigated all the hard words.
good post. Welcome back, glad you had fun!

spookyrach said...

Songbird is not the only one having trouble with blogger. It has now deleted the comment from David about "A Superior Person's Book of Words" and my somewhat chucklesome reply. What is the freakin' deal???

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

~squinting~ big. words. hurt. this. early. in. the. morning.

reverendmother said...

Welcome back! We really missed you.

Theresa Coleman said...

You the woman-woman of the hour-hour.
Blogger stinks-stinks sometimes.

Anonymous said...

You forgot to say how proud you were of me. I went on vacation and actually purchased something for myself. That is a first.

Jackson (The Old Wrestler looking Dude, Big Daddy)