Thursday, May 29, 2008

'Cause Mindy said I had to.





Mindy has been after me forever to get me to post a picture of this painting, but the dang thing just does not photograph well. It is much larger and more...imposing, I guess, in person than it is in this photo. (It's also not as l o n g and drawn out at it appears here. Some kind of weird distortion going on!) I'd been working on this painting for a couple of months before I had the bracelet conversation. (This is the second time in less than a week that I've linked to that post. I find that somewhat disturbing...) I finished it not long after that and hung it in my office. It decorated the wall behind the chairs my probationers sit in. When Roger reported the next time, he never even saw it.



I just got the frame a couple of weeks ago. We have an antique/consignment store here that always has interesting stuff. The very best reason to shop there is that one of the boothes is owned by the wife of a world famous-ish artist and she sells their scratch and dent frames for next to nothing. I loved this frame - thought it was perfect. I paid my ten bucks for it, brought it home and spent a couple of hours painting it red. (In the rain, I might add.) It dried for a day, then Katie and I brought it up to my office on a Sunday afternoon to finish the framing job. It was at that point that I realized the canvass was not 24 x 36 after all! Oh well. Now it's a frame AND a mat - ha ha!



Last Friday I rearranged my office and now the painting hangs over my left shoulder. I really do like this painting, especially now that it no longer peers at me from over people's heads. She never said anything, just stared at me all day long and it was really starting to freak me out.

Should be interesting to see if Roger notices it this time.

13 comments:

Karen Sapio said...

Cool. My kids and I were just having a discussion about Wonder Woman the other day. "Is she the one who wears a bikini and flies an invisible airplane?" my son inquired.

Well--the airplane part is right.

spookyrach said...

I prefer to think of it as the Swimsuit of Armor.

ha ha! They tried changing her uniform a few years back. The idea was good, but the design was trendy and stupid.

Anonymous said...

You painted this? Man! Talk about talent!! I can't even draw a decent stick figure.

Lori said...

Those eyes.......so piercing! It's a self portrait, isn't it?

Very very cool!!

And....I tagged you. Only because I know you love it so.

spookyrach said...

Thanks, bunny!!

PG - don't I WISH it was a self-portrait. ha ha ha! (Going to go check out the tag material!)

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

well artist indeed! she is commanding that's for sure... oh yes beware of accessories. rogers sounds creepy-el-creepo...

spookyrach said...

Yeah, I'm amazed Roger had any comic book knowledge (normally a plus in my book)but I'm appalled by what knowledge he has and what he means to do with it. Roger ain't usin' his powers fer good, that's for sure!

DogBlogger said...

Nice work!

esperanza said...

Cool. Maybe I need one for my office. That would freak them right out.

And would you stop already with the bragging about the rain?

spookyrach said...

Thanks, DB!

Only for you, esperanza, only for you! (I think we've seen the last of it for a while. May and September are usually our rainy months. Or as close as we get to a rainy month, anyway.)

annie said...

It is a very impressive painting. I do think she will do far more good staring at your "peeps" rather than staring at you. I bet she will be happier too!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

It is even more cool in real life! Rachel is so damned talented. Ask her about the directional points on women!

Roger is the only one that I have known that actually flustered you. I wanna see how smitten he is when he leaves your office next time.

She really is impressive. I think you need to draw your own comic book. Can I please be a character?

JenStar said...

You painted that?!! Ithought you could only read! ha ha I think you should have her copied and put on the back of your business cards! I think you captured her spirit quite nicely!