Thursday, January 03, 2008

Friday Cemetery Blogging



How's your new year been so far? It's been pretty good here. Here are some reasons why:


1. After almost a year of searching, we finally found a new cleaning lady in November. Found her a week before surgery. She expects to be released by the doctor to go back to work on January 7th. She's supposed to call and let me know if she can work, and if she's gotten a clean bill of health, I swear, I may kiss her.


2. I had some good time off during the holidays. Jackson and I spent more than one day in ratty old sweats, doing nothing more intellectually or physically stimulating that moving from the recliner to the refrigerator and back. It helped renew my batteries a bit.


3. We've been child-free for most of the past two weeks. Which means we got to see some adult movies. Not those kind of adult movies! Our favorite was, of course, Sweeny Todd. (Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman! In the same movie!!) Jackson had never heard of it before and I explained the highlights of the plot while we were standing in line to get popcorn. Then I told him it was a musical. He gave me one of those oh-crap-not-again, eyeball rolling, you've-gotta-be-kidding-me looks. I get those a lot. But, try as he might, he couldn't help but love it. We went to see it again the next weekend, then found an all-night discount store that had the soundtrack so he could sing along all the way home.


4. We had meat pies on New Year's Eve. My mom's recipe. Yummy!


5. Zoe is housebroken! (But Doofus Archie has regressed and is leaving piles in the house. Damn cat!!! He's NEVER done this before. I think it's a territory thing. Suggestions, anyone?) Evil Steve lives in high places now, but she seems to be tolerating the change in altitude well.

6. Jackson and I are watching the Iowa caucuses on C-Span while I write this. It's so cool! Kicks hell out of the line of blue-hairs voting straight ticket that we usually get to see. This is fun! Freaky, but fun!

7. I painted a picture this weekend. It ain't good, but its probably the best I've done so far. Improvement rocks!

8. Jackson bought me a scratchy quill and ink set for Christmas. Calligraphy, here I come! But the best part is the sealing wax and brass seal. It's a skull and crossbones! Score!

9. Hmm... I gotta think of another reason, I can't stop at just nine.

10. We got all our Christmas stuff put up in record time. That's one of the pleasant side effects of a grinchy Christmas wherein you don't put the tree up until a little over a week before the holiday and then never get around to actually putting ornaments on it. heh. Begone, 2007! Howdy, 2008!

19 comments:

DogBlogger said...

Great post! Thanks for the Zoe pic. (Oh, and there was a human child in there somewhere, too, right?) Also, I wanna see the picture you painted.

And... You've been tagged at my place!

DogBlogger said...

Hey... is that Carmelita in the background of the kid/puppy pic?

spookyrach said...

Oooh, good eye AND good memory, dogblogger! It is Carmelita. If I get the guts, maybe I'll post a picture of the picture later. ha ha.

zorra said...

You just had to follow #3 with #4, didn't you?

Lori said...

That's one fine puppy! No ideas for Archie. If nobody comes up with one, call the Humane Society. Somebody there's likely to know what to do. Maybe just a bit more personal attention thrown Archie's way might help.

Yay for the cleaning lady! That will be a bright new day. Ours was off for four weeks and the spiders started picketing in front of the vacuum complaining of substandard living conditions.

annie said...

I did a lot of number two on my holiday too 'cept I went from the bed to the refrigerator to the bed. It was nice, being lazy.

Cool beans about the painting and excellent news about the cleaning lady. We could use one, but I'd have to clean up first!

reverendmother said...

LOL at the meat pies.

I enjoyed this glimpse into your life. Yay on artistic improvement! You've inspired me to do something creative today. Does making a meatloaf for dinner count? :-)

Anonymous said...

Annie: I think thats a little too much information for us....... ;-)

Rev Kim said...

ooh, those days in sweats, walking the same path from fridge to recliner and back again are the best.

Great pic!

Anonymous said...

Cool to know about the ST movie - the ManChild got tix to the stahe musical from Santa - it was what he wanted...

Anonymous said...

Yay for your artistic inspiration. I need to find some inspiration someplace; I'm still in the "laying around after Christmas" state of mind--heh.

Zoe has really grown fast. Cute doggie for sure!

Glad you had some rest to fuel up for the new year. Have a great one!

I want your mom's meat pie recipe...

Sue said...

Cute doggie!!! Sorry, no advice for the kitteh problemo.

We saw an ad for Sweeney Todd on tv the other night. I had a hard time convincing hubby about the plot highlights. He seemed to think that no one would make a musical about a sadistic barber. Go figure.

I'm glad you had a few days of rest & relax.

Gator World!! said...

I am so glad that you are having a great time in '08. Don't forget thats the plan. Fun in '08!

Cowtown Pattie said...

Paint by number kits kick butt, no?

Except I hate it when the picture calls for an icky shade of #18 green, and there's a ton of #19 spots to paint....shhhh, I have been known to cheat and use the color I prefer.

('Course I know'd that you painted yours without those pesky number guidelines...only true arteests can let their imaginations choose colors, to hell with the #19 puke greens.)

Cowtown Pattie said...

uh, icky shade of #19 green. I swear I can count to 20....

This is the very reason Kman won't let me tell jokes in public....

Anonymous said...

Your so funny, Miss Pattie!

Anonymous said...

Uuum, I meant, "you're"...Ha, I need to hush.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Wonderful list!! And I am loving that pic of Zoe....and the kid too.

Rev SS said...

Great list ... today's my sweats with trips between chair and frig .. and I'm so proud of IOWA democrats! May New Hampshire continue the positive motion ... I'm feeling hopeful.