Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Things I Think About on a Tuesday

I think that spring is here. I am going to dig. I need to plant the rosebushes that Jackson bought me for Valentine's Day. He always buys me flowering plants instead of cut flowers. Cool, huh?

Sometimes I think that Batman needs to just lighten the hell up. But mostly I think he's ok.

This year I think I am going to spend more time hiking. I'm only 36 miles from Caprock Canyon. Google maps thinks it would take me an hour and ten minutes to drive there. Silly Google.

I think we live way too close to the Dairy Queen. Blizzards are not our friends!

I think my nine o'clock appointment is not gonna show.

I don't know the person who bought the house catty-corner across from ours, but I think she might be my hero. Every time I've heard anyone mention it in town, they invariably say the same thing. "She's a single woman. I don't know what in the world she wants with a big house like that."

I think she might want that big ol' house so she'd have plenty of room for her solstice orgies and potion bottling operation. If I see her outside, painting pentagrams on the sidewalk, I'll probably stop and offer to help.

(I've never seen her, but I notice that she, too, is getting rid of the blue toilets in her house.)

I think the Japanese are resillient and innovative and it's going to be inspiring to see how they come through this crisis.

I am thinking about buying a bow and arrows. (Recurve. No wimpy compound bow for me!) Then I'll change my name to Rachel Hood. I look good in green.

I bought new work gloves during the lunch hour. They are pretty bad-ass. I think I'll probably be able to get the tiller started for the first time in a year with these bad boys on my hands. Yessirreebob.

I think I really need a pair of bib overalls and with a pouch of Levi Garrett chewin' tobacco in the front pocket. I'm channelling my inner Grandpa today...

I think this is a load of contradictory bullshit:

The husband and wife are of equal worth before God, since both are created in God's image. The marriage relationship models the way God relates to his people. A husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church. He has the God-given responsibility to provide for, to protect, and to lead his family. A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ. She, being in the image of God as is her husband and thus equal to him, has the God-given responsibility to respect her husband and to serve as his helper in managing the household and nurturing the next generation.

– Article XVIII. The Family. Baptist Faith and Message 2000


I don't actually spend time reading things like the Baptist Faith and Message. I just ran across a new (to me) term for an old idea and while looking it up, I found the excerpt from the Ye Olde Baptist Faith and Folklore. (New term: Complementarianism. Basically it means he and I are equal as long as he gets to be more equal tham me.)

I think I like being a Methodist, especially a marginal one. I'm sure they have their fair share of bullshit doctrines, but I'm not familiar enough with them to recognize any yet.

I think maybe familiarity really does breed contempt.

6 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I think that people have a lot of extra time to think in far away town.

I think I like the name Rachel Hood.

I think I want a heath bar blizzard now.

I think I like that single woman too.

I think this sounds a lot like what I do on Thursdays.

Anonymous said...

I think we should initiate the single woman with a trip to the cemetery; then maybe she'll invite us over to the solstice celebraions.

I think I need a closer Dairy Queen. I really like Butterfinger Blizzards.

Rachel Hood sounds like a fun name.

esperanza said...

I think Google Maps absolutely has no idea what to do with anything less than a US Highway. They think the speed limit on any other road is 45.

I think that Methodists most definitely have bullshit doctrines. And I can say so, because I'm married to one. A Methodist, that is, not a doctrine--bullshit or otherwise.

Dijea said...

I like the fact that you like flowering plants and have work gloves.

Anonymous said...

I think I want to do a post just like this!

But I think it will be different...

I think I will be so envious if you can hit a bulls-eye with your arrows.

But I think I don't want to put an apple on my head for you, no matter how much you pay me.

I think pentagrams could be aesthetically pleasing...

But I think I'll refrain.

I think complementarianism is bullshit.

But I thought the Texas Baptists didn't buy into complementarianism?

I think I'm going to go do this on my Facebook right now!

~LJ

stf said...

I think I like being a Methodist, especially a marginal one. I'm sure they have their fair share of bullshit doctrines, but I'm not familiar enough with them to recognize any yet.

yay

but Wesleyan spirituality is a very different kettle of fish :)