Thursday, June 05, 2008

Friday Cemetery Blogging

Annie has an interesting post this week which showcases another of the way cool "thangs" she does. The particular piece she posts is especially poignant and it reminded me of something I've seen on several tombstones lately.

"A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands put to rest. God broke our hearts to prove to us he only takes the best."

It's only shown up on newish tombstones and I don't know where this not-so-lovely sentiment came from, but it intrigues me. I cannot for the life of me understand how such a platitude could be even remotely comforting. To me it says 'too damn bad your god is such an evil, rotten jerk'. He broke our heart to prove he only takes the best? Why does God have to prove anything? And if he does need to prove himself, how does killing your child or grandma engender your love and respect?

Every time I see this, I'm struck by the sadness of it. This is desolately bad theology. I hope these people managed to somehow find better comfort than this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're headed to Phoenix this weekend. Of course we're going to Tombstone while we're there! See you again sometime next week!

16 comments:

Lori said...

Not to mention, what are the rest of use here left behind, not taken? Chopped liver?

annie said...

Ha! I agree with PG!

I'm so glad you found this and posted it Rach! I think you are right in saying that this is a very sad "comfort" in the loss of a loved one. It's terrible, really! Almost as bad as "God needed another angel"!

Have fun in Phoenix!

Jules said...

As someone who is a "professional theologian" (or so it says on my diploma) I can tell you that from where I sit, that's just bad theology.

Really, wicked bad.

Anonymous said...

That's as bad as the flower arrangment with a child's toy phone and a banner reading "God called XXXXX home."
Gives me the heebie jeebies!

Have a good time in Tombstone!

DogBlogger said...

What they all said.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Oh that is so bad bunny!!

I cannot for the life of me understand why that would be a confort to anyone.

net said...

Yeah, it's like the preacher (with a degree from Acme School of Theology and Fundamentalism) saying to a grieving mama: "God wanted another rosebud for His heavenly bouquet."

I wanted to smack him.

Bad theology, man, really bad theology.

Rev Kim said...

Ugh. Bad, bad theology.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

i so agree that "sentiment" is ickish...

have a great time gun-slinging... greet wyatt for me if ya see him!

esperanza said...

Blech. Have fun in AZ.

Dijea said...

PG, I so agree with you. After reading that I feel inadequate and dirty. Like I am less than. Ick!

Enjoy Tombstone Rach!

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

"bad theology" is not big enough to describe the depths of inadequate, misformed, shallow, inept, disgusting theology expressed in this trite phrase

not that it matters or anything ...

Anonymous said...

Horrible theology and something LH and I have been bemoaning for quite some time.
Eouuu- on the rosebud/bouquet!!! Yikes!! Where did these ministers get their diplomas? Mail order?
Hope yer having a great time in the AZ and look forward to your great pics!

Gator World!! said...

That is not comforting to me. It's almost like they are saying hey the rest of you suck, and you aren't good enough to go to Heaven. How do you like them taters???

Crimson Rambler said...

Yup, in my book he takes them ALL, blessed be the name of the Lord.

I think the dirty little comfort in this is the implicit flattery of the person who died and the relatives thereof...

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you on this; and, also, I thought the same thing that Presbyterian Gal said.