Thursday, February 16, 2006

Friday Cemetery Blogging

Here's another fence photo. This one if from a cemetery on a mountain side close to White Oaks, New Mexico. White Oaks is an interesting place. Very creepy in a distinctly Stephen King sort of way. Everything looks pretty normal on the surface, but you can feel someone or something watching you all the time. After a few minutes you find yourself staring at the windows of the houses, looking for whatever is staring back at you.

If you check out the White Oaks website, the Cedarvale Cemetery is where I took the fence photo. The website is all happy-cheery about how it is a tourist attraction/ghost town. If you notice the fine print on the side, it states that other than the summer, the only things open are the saloon and pottery works. I can attest to the truth of that. Its advertised as a ghost town, which is not really true as there appear to be quite a few village residents still hanging around. They give the place a freaky Ed Wood kind of ambiance. Jackson and I felt sort of like we were Fred and Daphne, pulling into town in the Mystery Machine. We tiptoed around expecting some squint-eyed prospector to warn us meddling kids out of town. By sundown. If we knowed what's good fer us.
~shiver~

7 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Beautiful!

I think that I am more of a Velma.

reverendmother said...

C walked up while I was reading this, and she instantly said, "Oh, that fence is scary!"

LOL

Patti said...

We have fences like that all over tow...around houses, around parks, around cemetaries, and around the Ladies' Home. I'm going to try to take some pix of our Ladies' Home and post them later. New Mexico sounds like my kinda place!

spookyrach said...

RM - that is too funny!! ha ha ha!

Patti - I bet you would love New Mexico. It is very cool. I was always ho-hum about Georgia O'keefe until I spent some time staring at the sky in New Mexico. Now she makes a lot of sense. Come visit us and we'll take you across the borde!

spookyrach said...

Um. "Across the border." with an R.

Anonymous said...

I think the fence is cool. And I LOVE me some New Mexico. I go to Ghost Ranch (Abiquiu) every chance I get.

listie said...

What a beautiful picture. I love old cemeteries.